Top Technology Facts and Stats – Cell Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Drones, and Social Media
It’s no shocker that our life and world revolve around technology and social media, but would you have thought ten years ago that you could order an Uber on your phone, have food delivered to you through an app, or that Amazon Prime would be part of your everyday vocabulary?
Technology is such an incredible thing and it’s changing at the speed of light. As a business, it’s more important now than ever before to see these trends and pivot when needed. Here are some fun facts and statistics to show you how much technology and social media has changed in the last decade. Grab a bagel, some coffee, and take a quick 15 to read these interesting tech stats.
Top Cell Phone Statistics
- 61% of users are unlikely to return to a mobile site they initially have trouble accessing and 40% will visit a competitor’s site instead. – ( McKinsey )
- 88% of users who search for a type of local services business on a mobile device call or go to that business within 24 hours. – ( Mophie )
- In 2017, 69% of total digital media time was spent on mobile devices. – ( Google )
- Mobile sites load in 5 seconds earn up to 2x more mobile ad revenue than those whose sites load in 19 seconds. ( Google )
- The number of mobile phone users in the world is expected to pass the five billion mark by 2019. ( Statista )
- In 2016, an estimated 62.9 percent of the population worldwide already owned a mobile phone ( Statista )
- 81 percent of U.S. Americans had a social media profile, representing a five percent growth compared to the previous year. ( Statista )
- The world is home to 8.4 billion mobile connections, they’re multiplying five times faster than we are. ( GSMA Intelligence )
Top Laptop & Personal Computer Statistics
- In 2016, 260.2 million personal computers were shipped worldwide. ( Statista )
- In 2014, a total of 5.7 million Chromebooks were shipped around the world, with 4.82 million units, representing some 84 percent, in the United States alone. ( Statista )
- In the fourth quarter of 2017, Lenovo shipped 15.74 million PCs worldwide, while HP Inc shipped 16.08 million PCs worldwide in that same quarter, remaining in the top position since the second quarter of 2017. Dell occupies the third place on the list, shipping 10.84 million PCs. ( Statista )
- Overall shipments of PCs dropped 5.7% year-over-year in 2016 to 260 million, according to a report Wednesday by market research firm International Data Corporation. ( IDC )
Top 5 Tablet Statistics
- 1.43 Billion tablet users worldwide. ( eMarketer )
- 40 Million Global tablet shipments in 3Q-2017. ( Dig It Times )
- Up to early 2017, Apple has sold around. ( Statista )
- Google’s Android operating system is the leading OS in the tablet market with a share of around 60 percent in 2017. ( Statista )
- Top 4 tablets use: Traveling Entertainment, Drawing & Designing, Reading, and as a Child Babysitter
- PwC pegs the total addressable value of drone-powered solutions in all applicable industries at $127 billion. ( PWC )
- BI Intelligence expects sales of drones to surpass $12 billion in 2021. That’s up by a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.6% from $8.5 billion in 2016. ( Business Insider )
- Photography is the number one industry using drones.
- In 2016 Disney used 300 drones in their Christmas light show. ( If you missed it, here’s the video )
Social Media Statistics
- Social media ad spend surpasses TV – ( Our Social Times )
- Snapchat hits 10 billion daily video views – ( Our Social Times )
- With its acquisition of LinkedIn, analysts predict that Microsoft will become the first tech company to reach a market value of $1 trillion – ( Windows Central )
- There are 33,000 chatbots on Facebook – ( Our Social Time )
- Facebook is still the most engaging social network – ( Our Social Times )
Bonus Statistic: Only 10.5 years until robots take over the world.
You don’t need these stats to show you how much technology has become an overwhelming part of our lives. This is why EPE has to stay ahead of these trends and design packaging that will mold with the changing world of technology. Learn more about our innovative packaging solutions, click here.